Tuesday 29 May 2007

#5 - Moulin Rouge!


I know, this movie is full of gayness, but this is a great movie. It has a great story, great style, great songs and great acting. Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman, as Christian and Satine, have great chemistry, which you wouldn't necessarily foresee if you didn't actually see it on screen.

I don't know how many times I have seen this movie, but it gets better and better for me each time. Baz Luhrman directs a wonderful movie about love, heartache, jealousy and deception. The love that the two main characters share, which must be forbidden and the events that lead to the painfully sad ending, seems true and undeniable.

The styling and tone of the movie are wonderful as well. It is almost cartoony, but the viewers still get sense of the bohemian lifestyle that these people live in. At times it is breathless.

Also the song selection and how they incorporated them into the movie was seamless. With the modern songs and how they changed them and connsected them to the story made this movie even better for me.

I still remember winning a game of Trivial Pursuit with the answer being Absinthe, which is ingested heavily throughout the movie. We kicked ass in that game, Matt and I.

Loved Moulin Rouge!. Check it out there will be no disappointment.

Take care everyone and enjoy the movies!!!

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

There is no gayness in this film, you would have to be pretty lame if you didn't have this in your top 10 if not top 5. I can only hope that your last few picks will save you from (a) saying Notting Hill is a top 10 movie and (b) saying how much you like Hugh Gay, I mean Grant.