Monday 20 August 2007

Tin Cup


It has been a while since I have done a movie review and since I haven't been able to hit the theatre lately, that I will start doing reviews of older movies...movies that I have in my own collection or otherwise. The goal is to do at least one a week, but I am hoping to do more then that.

The first one I want to discuss is Tin Cup. I just watched this again on TV yesterday and I thought what a great one to start with. Tin Cup, starring Kevin Costner, Rene Russo, Don Johnson and Cheech Marin is a great sports movie. It is about a washed up golfer Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy (Costner), who owns a run down driving range, and his attempt to qualify for the U.S. Open. Of course all of this is for the love of a woman, Dr. Molly Griswold played by Russo, who is also the girlfriend of Roy's rival David Simms, played by Johnson. "Tin Cup" wouldn't be anywhere without his loyal sidekick Romeo, who is played by the awesome Cheech Marin. By the way, Russo is totally hot in this movie!!

I love watching this movie. Costner is at his best when he is in a sports movie. You just have to look at Bull Durham, Field of Dreams or even For Love of the Game. All great sports movies starring Costner. For some reason he just pulls off these movies. Must be a natural athlete because he doesn't look out of place at all.

The main problem or antagonist for McAvoy, is his desire to go as far as he can. Whether its a bet or just a dare, he needs to prove to those around him and to himself that he can do it. This is obvious at the end when he has an opportunity to win the Open, but doesn't want to lay up to get the par. He needs to go for the green. In the end, he ends up with a quadruple bogey or something to that effect and loses the tournament. He does end up making the shot, with the crowd cheering his every step. He may have lost the tournament, but gains the approval from all of those around him. He even gets the girl!! That is my favourite part of the movie. I guess I am a sucker for t he underdog (see my review for Rocky).

Tin Cup is a movie that I would recommend to anyone. Even if you don't like golf or sports in general, check it out. You will definitely enjoy it. It has a lot of humour, some lovin' and some cool golf shots.

Go rent it if you can find it or check it out on TV. It is on the tube every once and a while.

Take care everyone!!

The Flick Guru

0 Comments: