Sunday 26 August 2007

Star Wars - Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace

The Phantom Menace...where it all begins. I would have to say, besides my wedding day and the birth of my son, I hadn't been this excited. This was a huge event and one that I will never forget.

The Phantom Menace was exciting, illuminating and wondrous. By no means perfect, it was probably what every Star Wars geek out there was hoping for and expecting. It brought back all of the memories and emotions from when the original trilogy came out and more. We were going to see where Anakin Skywalker came from. Holy Shit! Who would have thought this day would come. It did and besides annoying little Jake Lloyd, who played a young Anakin, and Jar Jar Binks, this movie kicked ass.

No, I did not like Jake Lloyd. I don't know how many people did. I know he was young and was only in a few movies before this, he still came off as annoying as hell. Poor acting and that cheesy little "Yippee" when he was in his owner Watto's shop. Annoyed the hell out of me. Same with Jar Jar Binks, annoying but kid friendly. Not sure what George was thinking but I guess he made things right when there was little to no Jar Jar in Ep. 1 and 2.

What really got me, in a good way, with The Phantom Menace, was the evil of it all. We get to see the Emperor at his beginnings. Palpatine (Darth Sidious) creating his Empire one little step at a time. We get to see Darth Sidious's apprentice, Darth Maul, who has pure hatred for the Jedi. It is the beginning of the end for the Jedi and it is awesome.

Ewan McGregor did a great job as a young Obi Wan Kenobi. We see all the nuances, voice intonations, body movements of a young Sir Alec Guinness. He does an excellent job, even as a young brash Jedi, of bringing out the wisdom of the older Obi Wan and brings this out even more in Ep1 and 2.


What is also great about this movie is we get to see a real Jedi fight while watching Obi Wan and Qui Gon Jin (Liam Neeson) fight Darth Maul on Naboo. Amazing, especially after Qui Gon is strike down and Obi Wan gets pissed. The fight scene between Kenobi and Maul was unbelievably fast and intense. Awesome, I still love watching that scene.

The Phantom Menace may not be as good as the Original Trilogy, but it is right up there with them. Not only because it is a great movie, but because it is the start of it all. The start of why everything Star Wars became what it was. Awesome!!

Check out if you haven't seen it, which I am sure not many of you haven't.

Take care everyone and enjoy the movies!!

The Flick Guru

0 Comments: