Sunday 20 May 2007

Spiderman 3


There is something to say about sequels. Some are good, some are OK and some are terrible. Take the Matrix trilogy. The first one was great, next two could have done without. The Godfather series. The original was awesome, the second one even better, the third one was boring as hell. The only trilogy that I can think of that was great from start to finish was the original Star Wars movies. I know some people have reservations about Return of the Jedi, but I still think it was a very good movie.


The Spiderman series is a very good series in itself. My family and I really enjoyed the first two movies. They were a great intro and continuation of a much loved comic book hero. Spiderman 3 didn't quite have it all like the other two movies did. I am not saying I didn't enjoy it. S3 had great action, cool new bad guys and some awesome special effects, but it didn't quite have the magic that the other two had. It seemed to be missing something. Maybe it was that spark of originality or the awe inspiring action of the Amazing Spiderman. I really don't know, but it just didn't quite do it for me.


I have always followed the Spiderman comics from afar. When I heard that Venom was going to be in S3 I was excited. In my opinion, Venom was a badass. In S3 though, it just didn't seem like the character was used enough. We only really see him in the big blow up battle at the end. I was disappointed by this and by the way they ending turned out.


The Sandman was a cool character and I think Thomas Haden Church definitely brought some soul to the character. Even though Flint Marko is a criminal, you see that he has a heart and isn't just a prick.


Tobey Maquire and Kirsten Dunst were good as Peter/Spiderman and Mary Jane. The love story was getting kinda tired and the battle to save MJ at the end was awesome, but did Sam Raimi who again directed this movie need to string her up in the rafters again for Spidey to save her. I don't know...maybe they could have come up with something better.


A real surprise for me was James Franco as Harry Osborn. Franco really brought life to his character this time out. His ups and downs mentally were really well done and you can really see that he worked hard to shown Harry's pain throughout. Good job by Franco.


Overall, I still enjoyed Spiderman 3. My kids loved it and my wife loved it. I can't say I loved it, but I though it was good and I am sure I will see it again sooner rather than later. I just hope that if they make a fourth Spidey movie, they come up with a really original and jaw dropping movie.


Take care everyone and enjoy the movies!!!

1 Comment:

free movies said...

Agreed. I also felt that some movies are not meant for sequels and some are so good that people love to watch sequels. S3 is one of them and all the three are interesting to watch.