Saturday 10 November 2007

Bee Movie (2007)

Well I am going to make this fairly brief. How many Jerry Seinfeld fans are out there? I know I am. I wouldn't say I am hardcore, but I would watch Seinfeld whenever I could an still do in reruns. His self-deprecating humour and making fun of nothing worked well on the small screen. It was a good show and well worth the accolades it received in its regular run.

Seinfeld humour doesn't translate well on to the big screen though. At least not in a computer generated cartoon. Bee Movie, in my opinion, was almost a waste of my time. This movie, about a bee, Barry, that does not want to live the rest of his life who just works the same job over and over. He befriends a human woman and finds out that humans have been, in his mind, illegally making honey. Barry decides to sue the honey makers and lo and behold wins. The honey makers are forced to stop and the bees get all of the honey back. The bees stop working, the flowers stop being pollinated and everything stops growing. Well you can guess that since everything on earth will die..??.. Barry decides to make amends and everything works out.

I don't think I laughed until about 1/2 way through the movie. I wouldn't even call it a laugh; maybe a mild chuckle. Bee Movie, in my humble opinion, wasn't funny at all. My son, although telling my wife and I that he liked it, didn't really laugh either. What made it striking to me was that in previous movies we have taken him to, like Cars or Shrek, within the first five minutes he was howling. There was no howling tonight and that is a good indication that this movie isn't appealing to kids. I didn't really hear any laughing in the entire theatre.

I said I was going to keep this brief, but I think I have surpassed brief. I will wrap this up by saying to you, don't waste your time. If you want, rent Bee Movie when it comes out on DVD. At least that way you can shut it off and go clean your garage or play with you kids in your backyard. Do something useful.

Take care everyone and enjoy the movie!!

The Flick Guru

0 Comments: