Monday 3 September 2007

Star Wars - Episode 6 - Return of the Jedi

The final chapter in the Star Wars saga. Full of revelations and redemption. We get a lot of understanding of what Star Wars is all about in Return of the Jedi. We see what we want to see, but we also get a hell of a lot more. It is a story of love, but also of hatred...of a desire to conquer through any means necessary, and I truly enjoyed it.


Return of the Jedi is on or near the bottom in a lot of people's favourite Star Wars movie lists. I would have to say it is close to mine as well. Although we do see the redemption of Darth Vader/Anakin and the downfall of the Empire, this episode seems to be missing something for me. Maybe since the new trilogy has come out, it has taken a back seat for me. It is actually kind of difficult to explain.

Now even though I said it is near the bottom of my list, I am not saying I didn't enjoy it. It is Star Wars. The special effects are awesome, the story is well done, the final battle over the forest moon of Endor is incredible. There was nothing like that at the time and there are still very few battle scenes that come close. The final battle in the Phantom Menace doesn't even come close to this one, which was quite a disappointment. Whenever I watch ROTJ, I can't wait to get to this part of the movie. It is awesome.

Of course we can't forget about the awesomeness of Carrie Fisher in her little bikini when she is at Jabba's Palace. Very sexy, some very naughty thoughts crossed my mind when I first saw ROTJ as a ten year old boy. Yum!

We also have the Ewoks. Now I never did mind the Ewoks. Are thought they were pretty cool and still do. The are cute and cuddly and it still hard to believe that they could beat the shit out of Stormtroopers, but who cares. They were important in the story and I liked them.


The final lightsaber duel between Luke and Vader was very good as well. It is no Obi Wan vs Maul battle, but in it we see the redemption of Anakin. We see him waver and finally fall under the power of his love for his son. We now know through the prequels that Anakin fell to the dark side for love and he now returns to the light for the same reason. The fact that he could destroy his master when all is said and done, shows that Anakin, despite being half machine, did have a heart, did have a soul.

Overall, not my favourite Star Wars flick, but I still love it and will watch it again.

That all for now..

The Flick Guru

0 Comments: