Wednesday 28 February 2007

Rocky

One of my favorite movies of all time is Rocky. A story about the little guy making it big. Who doesn't want to go through life with such a major opportunity like Rocky had. I sure as hell know I do. Why not. We all want the opportunity to make things better of ourselves and the ones we love. Rocky got the chance of a life time by getting to fight Apollo Creed. What he did though was although having reservations initially, he made the best of it. He kicked Apollo's ass, lost the fight, won the girl, and gained respect which is something that he desired.

I showed this movie to my students not too long ago. It was a movie most hadn't seen, which really surprised me. I work in a school which would be considered an inner city school. A school with students who have more to worry about in life than just their grades. A lot of them wake up in the morning and don't know where their next meal is coming from. I wanted to show them that if they strive for something better then the cycle of self oppression, they can provide a good life for themselves and others. They can have the opportunities that the 'lucky' ones have if they worked hard and made the proper choices in their lives. To take advantage of the chances that they get. Some of them laughed and thought this was just a movie about fighting. I told them it was more than that. Although this is a movie about a down on his luck boxer, it was also a movie about more. And I hope some of them got that.

Like I said earlier, having a second chance, a chance to redeem oneself is something we all want and crave. I have a desire for that. I may not have a chance to fight Apollo Creed, but I strive for something better. Something better for my family and I. I try everyday and I think I succeed everyday.

This is something that the Rocky movies give us. A second chance and a desire to do better. Yes, yes..this is only a movie. But there aren't many movies out there today that can give the viewer hope, hope for something more. Even Rocky V, which most people didn't like, does that for you. It wasn't the best of the six movies but it still had a happy ending. One where Rocky wins even if it is just a street fight.

These are just my rants on a great movie and a great character. Keep fighting everyone, keep striving for more. I know I will.

Take care and enjoy the movies!!

0 Comments: